Who lives here now?
The Abbey is occupied by the nuns and is known as the Priory of Our Lady of Peace, while the former stables are now occupied by the monks and known as the Monastery of Christ Our Saviour. The monks are Olivetan Benedictines, the nuns are affiliated to the Olivetan congregation. The Olivetan congregation was first established in the fourteenth century by the Saint Bernard Tolomei at Monte Oliveto in Italy. Dom Constantine Bosschaerts established a small foundation of nuns and monks at Cockfosters in North London in 1936, and from here all of the nuns, led by Mother Lucia Antonissen, and some of the monks, led by Dom Edmund Jones, came to Turvey in 1980.